Monday, June 24, 2013

A New Perspective

I hope everyone is having a marvelous Monday!  Last week, the Bikini Series challenge by Tone It Up wrapped up.  The Bikini Series was an 8 week challenge full of workouts and motivation from Karena and Katrina on their blog.  Immediately at the end of the challenge, members of the community began posting progress pics, sharing their measurements, posting the number of pounds they lost, and showing off the muscles they've earned.

Of course, I was extremely proud of all of the ladies and their accomplishments.  It is not easy to commit to a challenge like that for 8 weeks.  So I began reflecting on what has changed in my life over the last 2 months.  The scale didn't budge...bummer. I feel a little stronger, but I won't be busting out a 6-pack anytime soon.  A picture would not tell my story.  After some more thought, I realize what has changed most in my life was my perspective. 

I've been following all of these inspiring women who wake up during the wee hours of the morning to fit their workout in and then come home in the evening and add extra toning moves.  Each one of them is beautiful and the way everyone in the community supports one another is beyond words.  Before this challenge, I had a bad habit of body-envy.  I think it's especially easy now in this social network immersed society to be pulled into comparisons between women.  What you ate/didn't eat, how far you ran/didn't run, how long you can plank/lay on the ground. 

So I'm admitting that up until now, I've been a judger. 

"That girl at the gym, I'm skinnier than her." 
"Oh, she posted that picture?  It makes her look fat." 
"If I ate that ice cream, I would be fat."
"It took her 30 minutes to run 2 miles, how slow!"
"She's too skinny, she needs to eat something." 

And from this point forward, I'm DONE!

That's right, no more "F" word for me.  Every individual has their own circumstances, struggles, and accomplishments.  And every individual is beautiful in their own unique way.  Who am I to judge how a stranger looks?  I don't know where everyone is on their personal journey.  I see this quote all of the time, and I think it is the best reminder to give everyone respect and stop the comparisons!


That's all for today. I will give everyone an update on my triathlon training progress next week.  Until then, I leave you with a picture from this weekend.  Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment