Monday, July 1, 2013

Tri Training Month 1 Update

Happy Monday Readers!  I am happy to announce that I am done with month 1 of triathlon training.  9 more weeks to go.  I wanted to share what I've been doing and the progress I've seen.

Strength Training
This was something new that I added to my workout schedule every Monday.  The exercises I focus on are lat pulldowns, seated row, leg presses, leg extensions, crunches, and push-ups.  I feel so much stronger than when I began.  I can do multiple sets of "man push-ups" as I call them. AND I did my first chin-up ever (much to my own shock).  I'm starting to see a lot of definition in my arms and that makes me happy.

Running
I run 3 days a week.  One EZ long run, one short Tempo Run, and then I alternate hills or a track workout.  I was a little discouraged at the beginning of June because my body was taking its sweet time getting acclimated to the Texas heat.  Since then I've had some good runs and Daniel keeps reminding me how much stronger I look when I run compared to last summer.  I'm running a 5k in 2 weeks, so the results will show then.



Swimming
I swim 2 days a week.  Before my official training began, I did a baseline 300M swim that took me 6:26 to complete.  I thought by race day I'd be happy if I could get my time under 6 minutes.  Last week, I blew that goal out of the water.  I took 50 seconds off my 300M swim in a mere 6 weeks.  I was ecstatic.  I told anyone who would listen.

300M Swim Time
 
Biking
I practice biking twice a week - once on an indoor spin bike, and once outside.  My average speed has been around 13 MPH, but since the race is 15 miles long, I'd like to get a little quicker.  I'm hoping to go do a ride on the actual course soon to see how hilly it is.  My longest ride has been 17 miles.
 
Safety first - always wear a helmet
 
That's all for this week.  I hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July!!


No comments:

Post a Comment