Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Goals & Progress

January is nearly over, so I have been reflecting on my goals this week.  For the new year 2013, it was hard for me to think of 'resolutions' that would last me all year.  Instead I resolved to make monthly goals that will measure my fitness progress as well as life growth.  Here is a list of my January goals:

1. Run 65 miles by the end of the month.

To train for my half marathon, I want to increase my mileage. I am trying to do so gradually.  So far, I've been adding about 5 miles per month to my monthly total. As of today I've run 48 miles, so I am on track to hit 65!

2. Do yoga or extra stretching for 60 minutes each week.

Last summer when I was doing yoga consistently for a month at Yoga Tree, I saw improvement in my running performance.  Daniel has been focused on injury prevention for the past few months, so this was a great opportunity to introduce him to yoga and help myself.  So far I have stayed consistent with this by doing Tara Stiles DVDs and fitmixer boot camp has been great at providing daily warm-ups and cool-downs that emphasize stretching and recovery.

3. Run the Resolution Run 10k in under an hour.

Drumroll please!  As promised in the last post, my race results.  Chip time - 58:16.  The race began at Stonebridge Beach Club in McKinney and the first half of the race was uphill.  This course was tougher than I remember.  I did the same course last May and my time was 1:06:52.  I improved my time by over 8 minutes in 8 months.  I was so excited and proud of myself.  I even got a medal in my age group.  This is a first for me!  *Disclaimer: it was a small race*

Gold medal, baby!

As for the rest of 2013, my major goals/plans are to run 2 half marathons and eliminate my need for soda (this goal is coming along nicely).  Coming soon, I need to work on my February goals.  Do any of you regularly set monthly goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment