Monday, July 22, 2013

My First Brick Workout: Thoughts

Sunday was my first Brick Workout for my triathlon training.  In case you don't know what a brick workout is, I rode my bike for 1 hour and then immediately hopped off and started running for 10 minutes.  It helps triathletes get used to a transition between 2 different sports where your muscles are used in different ways.


Before I started, I figured this would not be a big deal.  My legs may be a little tired from the bike ride, but running would come naturally.  Boy was I wrong!!

I parked my bike in the garage after 13.28 miles, took off my helmet, and headed out for a run.  It was my first time running in biking shorts, so I felt a little funny, but hey! no chafing...I'm a fan.

As I left out of my garage my legs felt so heavy and every step felt like it was the loudest, hardest footfall of my running career.  My legs felt like Jell-O and I was positive I was moving in slow motion.  Plus, by this time in the morning it was getting hot!  I thought of cutting my run short, but told myself to keep moving.

Around the half mile mark, my stride started to feel more comfortable.  At that point, I was running from shade tree to shade tree for some relief from the heat.  I don't think it was my best running form, but we can't win them all.  I glanced down at my watch and was pleasantly surprised that I was under 10:00 pace.  I wrapped my run up and was so happy.  I could not stop smiling and bragging for hours about my awesome workout.

I actually started at a faster pace than I finished.

Post-brick thoughts: I'm really glad I still have 6 weeks of training left.  After my experience Sunday, I think the triathlon is going to be more challenging than I originally thought.  I definitely want to do more brick workouts and also practice the swim to bike transition.

And a bonus.  One of my race pictures from last weekend.  I haven't ordered it yet, but Glover Sports Photography posted proofs.

No comments:

Post a Comment